Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4th - Independence or Dependence Day?

July 4th the designated day we as a nation celebrate our Independence from Mother England. The day is typically filled with backyard grilling, parades, lots of beer and some type of fireworks display.

As our lovely nation celebrates its hard won independence I will on a smaller level also be celebrating my DEPENDENCE on Mother England.

Now don't get me wrong. I love the US and am very grateful to live here, but I also like to think of myself as a citizen of the world. For me there is nothing better than exploring new countries learning new cultures and opening my mind to new ways and ideals practiced in other countries.

The first country to open my mind to a different way of life was England.

I was just a a little one when England really came across my radar. They had a Queen? Who has a Queen? I though that belonged in a storybook? You mean it's real?

Then there were the accents. Why did they have one and where could I get it?

Here's proof that I was obsessed with everything English at a young age.



If only I still had that Union Jack purse!!




I can’t help but notice how many things in our society that are distinctly British, and I clamor for them all.
Here are a few examples:
Jane Austen books and the Jane Austen Society - I am proud to say that I have read all her books and at one time I was a member of a Jane Austen Society.
Any of the following actors:
Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Daniel Craig, Ewan McGregor (technically Scottish but still part of the UK). Who did I miss? Who is your favorite British hottie?
Royalty:
Princess Diana, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, HM the Queen, and maybe Sarah, Duchess of York (although technically she isn't royalty anymore). Who is your favorite royal?

British Television:
I mean really there are far too many to list - Downton Abby, Sherlock, The Office, As Time Goes By - and all the numerous programs that are British and remade into American formats (The Weakest Link, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol etc.) Do you have a favorite British TV show?
British Food & Drink:
How often do we say we want some fish & chips, or a pint, or say the words high tea with our worst attempt at an English accent? Then there are the ones that are just fun to say: Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick and Treacle Tart.

So while I am celebrating America's Independence from England by taking a day off from work I may well just have a pint or two. Then I will watch some Sherlock, Downton Abbey or take in some Wimbledon whilst hoping to catch a glimpse of Duchess Kate in the Royal Box before heading out to catch some fireworks!

Happy July 4th I hope to bump into you out in the world someday!



No comments:

Post a Comment