Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Did I Ever Tell You About the Time..

I walked from Hungary to Slovakia for a beer? True story.

The beginning of the journey. What a great and fun idea! I will be visiting two countries in one day. The journey begins by crossing the Danube River by walking across this bridge.
So long Hungary (at least for a few hours!) I'm making an unexpected trip into Slovakia. Oh by the way - I know nothing about Slovakia. Except that it was once a part of Czechoslovakia.

Check point Charlie. This was as close as I was going to get with my camera. The border guards were still wearing Soviet Era uniforms. They let everyone through with out a glance. Not the two stupid Americans though. They took (yes took) our passports into their itty bitty office. It felt like a good ten minutes and we both started to worry. All we want to do is say we have been to Slovakia and drink a beer. I somehow don't think that would have gone over very well.



Finally Dolf and the gang let us go through. Now we were ready to spend some time in Slovakia. The most happening place was this tabac where we purchased all six of their postcards in stock. Apparently 'postcard' means the same in Slovak as it does in English.


Well, we were determined to spend more time in Slovakia than we did trying to get in. So we opted for the Corner Pub. It was right on the border crossing with a fantastic view of the border guards. So we decided to sit and border watch.


The pub was comfy and we watched the owner try to hang his new flat screen TV.



Did you know that 'beer' is not the same in Slovak as in English. Too bad. I wanted a local brew. I mean I did come all this way!


Time to head back to Hungary. Crossing over was much easier. In fact we had a lovely border agent that was quite happy to speak English. I wonder if she hangs out at the Corner Pub when she gets off work? Just curious.



Ahh, home. Time for some Goulash.








No comments:

Post a Comment