Wednesday, May 15, 2013

For the Love of Postcards



I love that little square piece of paper. That unexpected little slice of the world that just plops right into the mailbox - surprising and thoroughly exciting!

I received a postcard today and it literally has made my day better.

Postcards are something I have been obsessed with since I was a child. They were the first clue there was something out there beyond the city limits of my hometown. Snapshots of a world out there waiting to be explored by me - eventually.

Since those lovely pieces of paper meant so much to me (and still do) I always arm myself with a postcard list as long as my suitcase when I head out on a trip. If those little guys brighten my day perhaps they will brighten someone else's.

Every once and a while I get a 'thanks for always sending a postcard' from someone here or there. But for someone who sends postcards - I very rarely receive them. So when I do I always cherish it. It goes right in the middle of my chalkboard along with inspiration photos and magnets from my travels. In fact I love receiving postcards so much that I have taken to mailing one to myself when I travel. It's something to look forward to when I arrive home and the euphoria of the trip slowly wears off.

And while still on travel the husband and I always look for vintage postcards when out shopping. I especially love the ones that have been written in large loopy foreign characters. Who wrote it? Did they literally say 'wish you were here'?

So to my lovely friend who took the time to say 'hello' while on her travels - I say thanks! And next time let's go together! I'll even send you (and myself) a postcard!


No comments:

Post a Comment