Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Happy St David’s Day!



Photo from Wikipedia


Or hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi as they say in Welsh!

St David’s Day is this Friday, March 1, 2013.  The Feast Day for St. David, the Patron Saint of Wales, is always celebrated on the 1st of March – the day David is believed to have died in 589.

It is customary to wear either a leek or a daffodil to celebrate the holiday which was first recognized as a public holiday in 2000.
 
Photo from http://blog.visitwales.co.uk


 
The leek and the daffodil are two of the Welsh national emblems with the leek being St David’s personal symbol.


During the festive day the flag of St David is displayed:


Children in Wales will perform in school concerts or eisteddfodau.

Cawl, the national dish of Wales, will be eaten across the land.  Cawl is a soup consisting of many different ingredients but the more modern versions have, lamb, leeks and potatoes.
Click here to link to some fabulous BBC recipes for St. David’s day. I think I will make the chicken and leek pie and some Welsh cakes!

 
Her Majesty the Queen will be visiting Swansea for the St David’s Day festivities.



And even the local grocers will have a sale going to help you prepare for the day. I especially love this ad from ASDA for all your St David’s Day Essentials – including Welsh malt Whisky!







Will you be partaking in St. David’s Day festivities? Have you been to Wales?

What countries have you visited where you have adopted their traditions and celebrations?

Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi!


      4 comments:

      1. I've been to Wales twice (I don't count a couple of hours I spent once in Cardiff). Both times to visit my sister who was doing a Masters in Bangor. Visited lots of castles and climbed Snowdon. LOVED it all! Plus had EXCELLENT luck with the weather! A couple of hours of drizzle, nothing to write home about. :p

        I have yet to write at length about the visits and the castles (argh!!!), but I did write a post about my experience on Snowdon if you're interested:
        I climbed Snowdon!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I've been to Wales once,and I really want to go back. It is beautiful. I was in the town of Conwy not to far from Snowdon. I can't believe you climbed Snowdon! Can't wait to read about your adventure - thanks for the link. =)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I think Conwy was one of the towns I visited! Does it have an awesome castle? ;o)

          My sister dragged me up in iffy weather! I had a BLAST!!! Would love to do it again sometime, provided I was guaranteed a view at the top. Blasted clouds! Oh, and is one of the most crowded mountains I've ever hiked on! :p

          Delete
      3. Yes, but Conwy Castle is mostly ruins. There is also Caernarfon Castle not too far away. If you look to the side of the blog you can see my Twitter feed and my Face Book page. I posted/tweeted pictures of Wales today if you want to take a look.

        ReplyDelete